Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hurry Home Daddy!

Today the boys and I made a "Hurry Home Daddy" chart. I tried to have the boys help cut the strips of paper. Trayton did a pretty good job. Kade got a little scissor happy. But they both had fun helping. Its hard for little kids to understand time so I am hoping that this will help them look forward to Daddy's return. Jonathan graduated from his training today. (Good Job babe.) And leaves for Iraq this week. We are missing him TONS but trying to stay busy. Thanks for all the phone calls, prayers, and support. Here's a picture of the final product.


8 comments:

CASSIE said...

How neat...how many "strips" do you have to wait? You are a stronger women than I!

Aunt Tiff said...

You are amazing!! I can't even imagine...hang in there. You ALL are in our prayers.

Andrea said...

The kids and I did the same thing while bill was deployed... I ordered what is called a Flat Daddy from their website where you send in a picture and they send you back a life size image of "daddy". My girls LOVED it, you should try! Also we did build a bears with Bills voice in them saying he loves and misses them. Those helped the girls out a lot and they still sleep with their bears!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

what a great idea Mandi! i bet the boys are absolutely loving getting to tear the strips off! I love Andrea's ideas too...anything to ease the stress of having them gone...LOVE YOU!!

The Mattesons said...

We did the same thing. Rikk also was able to record on video reading stories to the boys before they left and then they have a program over there to do it and he was able to send some more. The kids LOVED having daddy read them their bedtime stories. You all are in our prayers. Be sure to get some time to go out and have fun yourself or you will go crazy! If you need anything, let me know.

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

There are 29 strips. One for each week he will be in Iraq (+2 in case of any delays...). Thanks Andrea and Dawn for the other ideas.

beau.shaunalee said...

Mandi! What a great idea, I've heard of doing this before because like you said, when you say 2 weeks, or 2 months, little guys just don't get it! You are such a great mom...I wish we were closer so our little tikes could be buddies.
We are in Petersburg (between Ketchikan and Juneau). I am loving it, it is definitely my favorite town in Alaska so far. We'll be here for about 8 months I think. You should come visit me--seriously. We have plenty of room! :)

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I don't know if I could do it!! Alot of families are doing just what you are doing and I know that we are greatful for the sacrifices that the soldiers and their families have to make. He will be in our thoughts and prayers also.

Alaska

Alaska