For 3 days Jordynn was miserable with a terrible tummy ache. For three nights we slept very little. She cried a lot. I held her a LOT. Dishes piled up in the kitchen. Laundry piled up on the couch. Toys piled up all over the house. Dinner wasn't made. Beds weren't made. The boys ate nothing but quick snacks and processed foods (until Daddy got home to cook) and they got to watch a lot of T.V. Jonathan called on his way home from work and asked, as he always does, "What did you do today?" I looked around and felt discouraged. In three days I didn't accomplish anything. I spent three days and nights rocking my sick daughter. I held her every time she got sick. In the middle of the night I laid by her side and stroked her hair until she fitfully fell back asleep. I read her favorite books to her over and over. I carried her in my arms until my arms ached. Jonathan repeated his question, "What did you do today?" Today I was just a Mom! The house is a mess and if you want to eat tonight you'll have to make it yourself. Because today I get to focus all of my attention on doing the least glamorous but most rewarding job ever. Today I'm a mom. I'm going to sit here and hold my angel daughter because I don't want to miss that weak little glimmer of a smile she sometimes gives me. I'm going to carry a towel on my shoulder because I don't know where or when I'll need it again. I'm going to read Dr. Suess' The Foot Book for the 15th time today because it makes Jordynn happy. I'm going to kick the toys under the bed so I have room to play a board game with the boys. I'm going to enjoy the fact that it is late afternoon and I'm still in pajamas. And I'm going to ignore the fact that Kade is literally eating food off of the floor. Today I'm going to be glad to be a Mom. I'm going to smile when their tiny hands reach for mine. I'm going to love their nasty slobbery kisses. I'm going to laugh when I trip over a kid pretending to be some sort of monster attacking me. I'm going to be grateful that my arms ache because my daughter wants to be held by me constantly. Today I was just a Mom! No wonder I'm so tired. I accomplished a LOT today!
P.S. Jordynn is feeling much better today. And I have finally found the bottom of my sink again!

4 comments:
You are not 'just' a mom!!! You are an amazing MOM! when i have days like this I have to remind myself that the dishes will still be there tomorrow, but my kids grow older EVERY day!!! your kids are very blessed to have you as a mother!!!! miss you guys like crazy!
Deep down I secretly love when my kids are sick because of everything you just wrote. I finally have an "excuse" not to multi-task and I get to enjoy the finer things like pajamas all day, cuddles and board games all over the floor.
I'm with Sydney...I love the justified excuse to shut down my house for a day or two...You are an INCREDIBLE mom! I think the foot book would have magically disappeared after the 5th time of reading it...
Oh Mandi... You made me cry. What a wonderful mother you are. Your kids are so lucky to have you. In 20 years your kids won't remember the times that you didn't get the dishes done, but they will remember what you sacrificed to be "just a mom" to them. Love ya!
Post a Comment