Saturday, July 30, 2011

Half Marathon!

After I had Braelynn I had a hard time getting myself motivated to run again.  So I decided to set a goal for myself.  Something that would challenge me.  Well, I certainly was challenged.  My friend Kari invited me to run the half-marathon in Anchorage with her.  This is us BEFORE the race.  (I wasn't smiling by the time I finally crawled across the finish line.)
I trained pretty consistently for a couple of months.  But three weeks before the race I got sick.  Sick enough that I couldn't run.  I ran a little bit the week of the race and felt really good.  I knew I could finish the race so started mile one slightly optimistic.  Kari is in awesome shape and for the first couple miles I ran with her thinking I was awesome.  Then she finally admitted I was SLOW as tar and went on without me.  Haha. (Kari finished with a time of 2:00:09.  WOW).  It wasn't long before I ran into trouble.  You see Mountain Home is flat.  Very flat.  Anchorage is not.  Hills.  Mountains.  I was unprepared.  I was right that the distance wasn't a problem but the hills, oh the hills, they destroyed me.  I heard rumors during the race about the last mile containing a killer hill.  It wasn't just a rumor.  I was determined not to stop.  Some lady stood outside her home sipping coffee and chanting "good job. You are doing awesome."  I wanted to kick her in the knees.  It hurt so bad.  But I didn't stop.  I finally made it up the hill and finished my goal with a time of 2.24.24.  Whew.  So glad its over.

5 comments:

CASSIE said...

YOU.ARE.AWESOME! I started training for one in May, and it happened to fall on the EXACT day of Kody's graduation. BOO...Maybe after the next kid! :) Oh-- and ALASKA is gorgeous! WE HOPE WE HOPE WE HOPE we get to go there next for the AirForce!

Aunt Tiff said...

Way to go!!!! You are amazing!

Aunt Bec said...

I didn't know you were doing that! That is amazing, and a really good time too. When I ran my first half I had been training for 6 months straight and barely beat that time. Ever thought about a full? They are pretty fun! I am so proud of you for sticking with it.

Beth Ann said...

Mandi, my dear, you have incredible determination with a little crazy mixed in!! So proud of you!

Kari said...

Alright stop, you're making me sound like some kind of a stud. A girl stud that is. You did very good, great even. That hill was enough for anyone to turn around and crawl all the way back to the beginning. I think that would have been easier! I still think you rock!!!!

Alaska

Alaska