Saturday, November 15, 2008

Home sweet Home

I made it home on Thursday and finally downloaded all of my pictures. It was such a fun trip. I'm really glad I made it. The kids had such a great time playing with their cousins. Even though the car ride was long and hard on them they are already asking to go back to aunt Meg's house. I'm not sure I was able to give Meg a break but it was a nice break from routine for me. I can hardly wait to go back in December. We went to the air show, did art projects, had a picnic at the park, played in the sun, cuddled babies, treated ourselves to Cold Stone, and just had a great time. Thanks Meg for making it so much fun!
The day before I left I got a phone call from a friend I had up in Alaska. The Lundgrens live in Logan now and I decided to stop and visit them on my way home. I am So glad that I did. It was so great to see Tiziana and her family again and they even surprised me with a visit from the Scotts. It was such a great trip. This deployment has reminded me of all the people in Alaska that took care of me and the boys during Jonathan's first deployment. People are usually surprised when I admit that I miss Alaska. I don't miss the subzero tempertures and darkness. I miss the friends I made. Tiziana was the reason I survived Jonathan's first deployment. Her husband was also deployed and her example was such a strength to me. Not only did she endure 9 months without her husband but she gave birth to her second little girl while he was gone. She amazed me (and still does). I remember when the boys were very sick for an entire month and I was quickly becoming depressed. I finally prayed for help and the next thing I know Tiziana is at my door with food and toys for the boys. Her chicken noodle soup was the first thing the boys ate (and kept down) in weeks. And it was during her visit that I saw Kade smile for the first time in weeks. I can't count the number of times she showed up when I needed help. It was so good to see her again. Thanks Tiziana!

6 comments:

Dahlia said...

That's so great that you got to see The Lundgrens and the Scotts! We sure miss all our Eielson ward family too :) It's a small world, especially within the church. You're amazing Mandi, truly amazing.

Matt and Amanda Coleman said...

We're PCSing in just a couple weeks, and I'm really going to miss Alaska too. En route to Texas, we are going to make Mountain Home AFB an overnight stop along the way, and we would love to see you guys! We will get there sometime eveningish of Dec. 15th, and then leave the next morning bright and early (okay, maybe not bright, but definitely early!) I'm sure Darren would love to get out of his carseat and play with your boys for an hour or two. Let me know if you're game! You are awesome for braving a road trip with 3 little kids all by yourself! I don't know how you do it!

Allison said...

That is wonderful that you got such wonderful support while Jonathan was away. It is so great how many friends you can make and then you move away, but still keep them as friends.
I am jealous that you went to Vegas. My sister lives across the street from Nellis AFB. I miss it, but I love Maryland. It is great that you could take that trip. It helps get your mind off of certain things. :)

kayleen said...

I am glad you had fun Mandi Jo. Thanks for your story about your friends. I am glad you were so blessed to have people to take care of you. I love you all!

Aunt Bec said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord is able to work through other people to touch our lives. I remember a certain phone call from you that helped me get through a really really dark hour. I am not sure how you knew I needed you to call me, but I am so grateful that you did. It is crazy that time can fly by so fast, It has been two years now. You continue to amaze me with your faith, endurance & hope. Someday I hope I can be the kind of Wife, Mom, Sister & Friend that you are. I am glad you made it home safe, I would love to see you when you come through again. Let me know if I can do anything for you. Love Ya!

Kari said...

Ahhhh. I love your blog. All of your pictures (and videos) are sooo cute. How are you? You seem to be hanging in there. Have you had any month long spells of sick kids this time? I hope for you that everything is going great and super fast and easy. I have to second what Dahlis wrote...You ARE amazing! I am still learning from you!
We all miss you and your fam.
Kari

Alaska

Alaska