Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Frozen Night!

There's a saying among military spouses that says, When your husband's away...Everything BREAKS! It's sad but true. First the Plumbing and now the heating. I've already mentioned my plumbing issues before. The day I got home from my vacation in AZ I realized my plumbing was again not working (for the third time since Jonathan left). It was a nightmare making it home and then I was welcomed by water draining onto my laundry room floor and the toilet overflowing. That led to this picture. Guys from Jonathan's shop came to my rescue (AGAIN) and replaced a section of pipe in the yard. But for payment they made me get in the hole they dug and pretend like I was cutting the pipe out myself. I could barely lift that saw. But I'm sure all the guys in the shop got a laugh at me. I know Jonathan did. Atleast now we have plumbing.

Then, last night I realize, my house is cold. Upon investigation I realize the pilot is off on the furnace. So I go through all the instructions on the furnace and figure out how I'm suppose to reignite the pilot. I try. It doesn't work. I try again, it still doesn't work. I call a neighbor and they give me a number for an honest furnace repair guy. I call him and leave a message. I steal Katie's space heater and put it in Jordynn's room so she doesn't FREEZE! Around 10:30 pm Furnace guy calls me back and says he can be here at 8 am. Umm Ok. I cry cause Jonathan hasn't called and I can't call him and my boys are cold. I go to WalMart and buy another space heater. Katie, Trayton, Kade, and I all sleep in my bed next to the space heater in an attempt to stay warm. Thank goodness for King size beds. I can't tell you how happy I was to see the furnace guy this morning. Ahhh, Warmth. (And he had a used replacement part at his shop so I got a GREAT discount. So here's a big shout out to Bob Gayhart Heating!) I'm not sure what else will go wrong but we only have two months left so maybe we'll make it without another catastrophe. It's hard enough dealing with the little things. Like having to jump through loops just to PAY a bill that my name isn't on, or depositing a check that has both of our names on it, check engine lights, cracked windshields, TAXES, depressed little kids that just want their daddy...Okay, I'll stop complaining. And I won't take my warm house for granted any more. Two more months and counting. I love you Jonathan. HURRY HOME!

14 comments:

Aunt Tiff said...

Mandi...you simply AMAZE me!!! You have so much strength. I am glad your heater is back up and running. I know Jon would rather be here to fix it for you!!! I love you guys...hang in there!

Aunt Tiff said...

ps...it is ok to complain...I think you are entitled to it!

Meg and Jeremy said...

Ha ha! That saw has to weigh as much as you do! I'm sorry about your heater going out, that's a bummer. Glad it's working now and I hope that nothing else goes wrong. I'm with you though, Hurry Home Jonathan!

Allison said...

Wow-only 2 months to go?! That is wonderful! Good job on handling everything that is thrown at you. I bet you didn't realize how strong you were until you had to be!
Our heater broke over Thanksgiving weekend and I can totally relate to the fact that you will never take heat for granted.

The Mattesons said...

Mandi, you are doing so good. It's okay to have melt downs, and from the sounds of it, you haven't had very many! Glad things are getting fixed and sooner than you know Jonathan will be home. Hang in there and cry if you want to!

CASSIE said...

I have said it before and am sure I will say it again many times...you are amazing! I seriously don't believe I could do all that you do without a hubby...here's to a quick return!

kayleen said...

Oh my dear sister. I certainly can't wait for that husband of yours to come home. Lets hope you make it through without anymore disasters. I love you!

Nicole Palmer said...

Cute picture of you in the hole! Maybe you should take up pipe modeling!!! You'd get lots of business!!! ;0) Sorry for all the crazy stuff - you really handle everything so well. Love ya!

Mills Family said...

I'm so sorry that your plumbing and heating had to go out on you. You amaze me. I know I wouldn't be able to handle everything without my husband around like you do. What memories you are making and how stronger you are because of all of this. Tiff always says "that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. " Keep your chin up he will be home before we know it. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Dahlia said...

You're a tough girl - I would've cried and cried...you're so lucky to have good neighbors and friends there to help you get your house issues fixed! Hang in there, he'll be home before you know it!!! We love you!

Dahlia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Mandi - I just looked through a ton of your blog and caught up on what life has been like for you! Our computer has been down for over a month...so I'm way behind! I'm sorry about your problems with plumbing/heating....plus everything else that hits you with your husband gone! I'm ALWAYS grateful for the sacrifice of the husbands AND wives in the military. I loved looking at the pictures of your trip...especially of all the friends meeting in Snowflake. I wish I could have been there. It's cute to hear all the stories about your kids...I love the picture of Kade asleep on the bathroom floor. Have a great day! Anne

Kari said...

Oh Mandy, you are a strong woman! I love the pic of you in the hole. Dang cute! I bet Jonathan was a proud man when he saw that! Hot wife with heavy equipment...well, I hope that everything else goes as it should for at least the next 2 months. Hang in there, we'll be thinking about you!

Still coming up to AK????

Crandell Fam said...

Oh my goodness that sucks! Sorry it's been so hard. I don't know what I'd do, but I'm pretty sure I'd cry a lot. Only 2 months left, huh?? AT least there's a light at the end of the tunnel, right? I hope it goes fast for you. I'm glad your heat is fixed, and I'm glad you had Katie to help with the boys and the cold. :)

Alaska

Alaska