Sunday, July 29, 2012

Grandma and Grandpa Great

These two are some amazing people.  We stopped to visit with them on our way out of town.  We only spent about 20-30 minutes with them but I learned so much about their love for each other during that time.  They shared a story about the early days of their marriage that I absolutely cherished.  I know my rephrasing it here won't be able to convey the emotion that their words carried but I don't want to forget it.
My Grandfather served in the army during the war.  Just shortly after they were married (about 11 days) he shipped out for training.  Being a military wife I can imagine the pride and the heartache of both of them.  After his training Grandpa was put on a train to head off to his first post.  The train briefly stopped at a town near Grandma.  She and two of her girlfriends went down to the station to see him off.  They described the scene of their fleeting encounter.  Their desperation for one more kiss.  Grandpa's two friends held him by the ankles as he dangled out the train window.  Grandma's two girlfriends raised her up. Amidst cat calls and laughter the two lovebirds shared a tender kiss good-bye.
Now after 67 years of marriage the two look at each other with their eyes still full of love.  Their age prohibits them from dangling from trains but that love has clearly grown with age.  I'm so thankful for their example of endurance.  Marriage isn't normally easy but it is worth all the work it requires.  I love you Grandma and Grandpa Great.

No comments:

Alaska

Alaska